Call for Performances
The AMS Performance Committee invites proposals for concerts, lecture-recitals, workshops, and other types of performances during the 2022 Annual Meeting of the American Musicological Society held in New Orleans, Louisiana, 10-13 November. We encourage proposals that develop a point of view, offer a programmatic focus, explore new musicological findings, or relate to the rich musical traditions of New Orleans and the surrounding region. Proposals that engage with the Society’s diversity of interests and methodological approaches (including proposals that expand on the concept of “performance” itself) are especially welcome.
Freelance artists as well as performers and ensembles affiliated with colleges, universities, or conservatories are encouraged to submit proposals. All selected performances will be allotted a maximum of 60 minutes.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- a proposed program listing repertory, performer(s), and the duration of each work;
- a list of audio-visual and performance needs;
- a short (100-word) biography of each participant named in the proposal;
- for concerts, a one-page explanation of the significance of the program or manner of performance;
- for lecture-recitals, a description (two pages maximum) explaining the significance of the program and/or manner of performance, and a summary of the lecture component, including information pertaining to the underlying research, its methodology, and conclusions;
- for workshops or other types of performance, a description (two pages maximum) explaining the concept of the activity or event and its musicological significance or relevance; and
- representative audio or visual materials pertaining to the program and performers (twenty minutes maximum).
Although the AMS is unable to offer a fee to artists, modest subsidies are occasionally available for performance-related expenses.
Materials must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. EST, 15 February 2022. Exceptions cannot be made to this deadline, so please plan accordingly. Notifications of the Performance Committee’s decisions will be sent in mid-May.